Farewell to Bellaghy/Mcelwees Farewell

Chorus

(G)Farewell to (D) Bellaghy,(C) likewise Tamlaght(G)duff,
And the green hills of (D)Derry (C)that I dearly (G)love,
My thoughts return (Am) to (D) you from my (C)dark H-Block (Em)cell,
So friends and brave (G) comrades,(D) I(C) bid you fare(G)well.

For hundreds of years now we've kept up the fight
and the history books told me of Ireland's plight
so with gallant Francis I followed the call
To conquer the tyrants, and defy England's laws.

Chorus

Through the hills of south Derry we marched and we drilled,
To our exploits in action all Irish youth thrilled,
The most feared men in Ulster, volunteers on the run,
We give England our answer from the barrels of our guns.

Chorus

Oh gallant south Derry you are forever blessed,
In the struggle for freedom you have given your best,
There's Hughes and there's Bateson, Sheridan and Leigh,
And inscribed with their names now brave Tom McElwee

Chorus

Probably one of my favourite songs at the minute to play, as far as I know the song was written by Irish brigade. Spirit of freedom and Gary óg are amongst the acts who have covered this song. It was the Gary óg version that first caught my attention.
The below video is the original version as far as i know it's worth looking at other versions on youtube aswell.


Tom had been involved in republican activity since the age of 14 with Fianna Éireann. He joined the blanket protest after recieving a sentence of life inprisonment in 1977 and subsequently became the 9th Hunger striker to die in 1981.

P.S If anyone has anything that I should add or suggestions please feel free to comment. Thanks.